With age appropriateness, the lesson will emphasize that many of the foods people eat come from plants. With excellent models, the basic parts of plants will be demonstrated.
OBJECTIVES: Students will have the opportunity to:
- realize the importance of plants
- learn the definition of propagation
- learn what plants need to grow (photosynthesis)
- know each part of a plant has a special job that makes the plant grow
- understand plants are grown from a variety of sources – seeds, cuttings, bulbs, and sometimes from other plant parts
CONTACT: Lisa Cross (806) 352-6513
BOOKING: 806 352 6513
PROGRAM TYPE: Field Trip
LOCATION: 1400 Streit Dr. Amarillo, TX
STUDENT FEE: $2 per student WOWW schools, $2.50 per student non-WOWW schools
TEACHER FEE: 0
ATTENDANCE MIN/MAX: 8-60
SPECIFIC AVAILABILITY: Tuesday and Thursdays
BOOKING DEADLINE: 2 weeks in advance
PROGRAM DURATION: 1 hour 30 minutes
OTHER INFO: One adult for every 25 children required. When booking provide school and contact person’s phone number. Confirm with Amarillo Botanical Gardens 24 hours before scheduled trip. Due to limited space, parents with small children must plan to wait outside program areas.
PRESENTATION FORMAT: Three sessions- lesson, extension activity, tour of tropical conservatory and gardens.
CORE CURRICULUM TIES: science
TEKS: (K.9)B (K.10) (1.10)A (2.9)A (3.10)A (4.9)A (4.10)A B (5.9)B D